Saturday, November 14, 2009

Low Carb for Life

What does it mean to eat low carb?

There are different eating plans followed by low carb dieters. The most popular and well known plan is Atkins. Unfortunately, Atkins out of the medical box thinking got a bad rap, and a reputation for downing bacon and butter. There is certainly nothing wrong with eating bacon and butter, but eating in moderation on any diet is key to weight loss management. And besides, you can eat vegetables on Atkins. That's right - vegetables.

You can try other low carb plans as well. Just to start there is Protein Power, The Zone Diet, Metabolism Miracle, Stillmans, and others. In a nutshell though - low carbing means eating meat, fish, healthy fats (which includes butter), low glycemic index vegetables, and some low glycemic index fruits. That pretty much covers it. Eat what God put on this Earth to eat, and avoid what man has altered, processed, or chemically created. Eat real food - whole food.

Why eat low carb?

In my case, I began eating low carb when my blood sugar jumped up to 464. One day I was an in-denial prediabetic, and the next day I was a full blown diabetic. If you visit the American Diabetes Association website, you will discover they recommend 45-65 carbs per meal. I never bought that idea, so I ate about 20-25 carbs per meal. So did my diabetic, on insulin husband. His numbers jumped all over the place, going high to low on a daily basis. Mine just jumped. And then I couldn't see. I mean really, I couldn't see. I had to wear a pair of reading glasses on top of my regular glasses until I could get my blood sugar under control, and get to an eye doctor for a new prescription. Wearing two pairs of glasses not only made me look foolish, but not being able to see was a major wake up call. Immediately I cut to 20 carbs or less a day (sometimes only 10). It took about two weeks of low carbing (plus Metformin medication) in order to get my blood sugar under control.

Two months later - I can see again. My blood sugar is under control. My husband cut his insulin back 5 times. I am sleeping better. I've lost weight. I have more energy in the afternoon. I have found my new way of eating for life.

What does a low carb menu look like?

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs w/sausage or bacon, 4 strawberries, coffee
Lunch - Grilled chicken salad
Dinner - Steak w/grilled vegetables, salad
Dessert - Sugar free Jello w/a dollop of real whipped cream
Snack - Handfull of walnuts and blackberries
Workout Protein - Jay Robb Protein Shake or a Power Crunch Protein Bar

What about my heart?

This interesting presentation (it's not dry and boring - really) by a Stanford researcher debunks a lot of the myths about low carb dieting, and he didn't even do it on purpose! The results of his research speak for itself.

No comments: