Sunday, November 29, 2009

Low Carb Fruit

Fruit is nature's way of providing a healthy, sweet treat. If you must indulge in sugar, then eat a piece of fruit. If you are diabetic, then you need to use caution with fruit. Avoid fruit in the mornings, and never, ever eat it alone. Fruit can spike blood sugar. In fact, you should monitor your blood sugar to determine which fruits your body can handle, and how much.

Dieters beware: fruit turns into sugar when it enters your body. Too much fruit can sabatoge your weight loss efforts (especially if you are insulin resistant). I measure my fruit carefully, and eat no more than 2 servings a day (with lunch and dinner). I also count it within my daily carb limit. I've made a list of fruits, measurements, and their carb content:

1/2 of a small grapefruit: 3.5
1/2 of a small orange 4
1/2 c. blackberries 4
10 small strawberries 5
1 small wedge of cantelope 5
1/2 c. of watermelon 5
1/2 of an extra small apple 6
1 - 1/2 inch slice of pineapple 6
1/2 of a small peach 5

I share my fruit with my husband and children to keep it from going to waste (1/2 an apple). If I notice a spike in my blood sugar or the scale, I cut back on fruit and monitor it carefully. I am not of frame of mind that you can't have fruit on a low carb diet, afterall, fruit is directly from nature, but if you think about it, fruit should not be available to us year round. Due to advances in agriculture we can eat strawberries all year long, but in nature, strawberries have a season. The same can be said about all fruits. An all fruit smoothie is loaded with carbs and calories. Eat your fruit, but eat it sparingly, like a special treat.

No comments: