Mission Carb Balance Wheat Tortillas are my new bread. They are 4 carbs each. I count them in my daily (below 20) carb count. I buy mine at Kroger. Tortillas give me new recipe options and make up for sliced bread. Be warned - tortillas in general are high in carbs. In particular, stay away from tortillas at restaurants.
Top Ten Ideas for Low Carbing with Tortillas
1. PB & J. That's right. You can have a low carb version of peanut butter & jelly. I occassionally have one for lunch or as a desperation snack. I use 2 tbsp. of Parker's All-Natural Honey Creme Peanut Butter (I found it in the refrigerated section at HEB) and 1 tbsp. Polaner Sugar Free Jelly. Total: 8 carbs.
2. Make a breakfast burrito with scrambled egg, bacon (or sausage), some diced onion and bell pepper, and a little bit of cheddar cheese.
3. Cinnamon toast. Dab several spots of real butter all over the tortilla. Sprinkle with cinnamon and Splenda. Place in toaster and put on light setting (not a pop up toaster).
4. Soft taco. Mmm...A little ground beef mixed with a Picante sauce and cheese rolled up in your tortilla is totally yummy.
5. Fajitas, of course. I fill mine with a lot of meat. Two is usually enough to keep me happy. You can use beef, chicken, or shrimp, or combine them together. Throw on a little pico de gallo and cheese and you've just gone Tex-Mex.
6. Quesadillas. A little cheese and chicken and tomatoes...optional green onions, black olives, mushrooms, or whatever low carb ingredients that makes you happy. Fry your quesedilla in a flat skillet with a little oil or butter. Add your cheese and ingredients in a thin layer. When your cheese is melted, fold your totilla and flip it till browned on both sides.
7. Pinwheel roll-ups. Cut your tortillas in wide strips. Combine 1 pkg. of cream cheese, 1 cup of sour cream, and 1-1/2 tbsp. of dry onion soup mix. Spread a thin layer of the mixture onto your tortilla strips. Layer on lettuce, thin sliced ham, and Swiss cheese. Great for parties!
8. Pigs in a Blanket - the low carb version! Cut your tortillas in 2 x 4 inch strips. Layer on a sliced cheese (cut to match) and a precooked (preheated as well) little smokie sausage. Roll the tortilla around the sausage. Microwave for 30 seconds (microwaves vary).
9. Tostado. Toast your tortilla (not in a pop up toaster). Top with ground beef, diced tomato, shredded lettuce, and cheese.
10. Strawberries & Creme. Dice up some strawberries and sprinkle with a tsp. of Splenda. Let them sit for a few minutes until the absorb the splenda. Put strawberries in the middle of the tortilla. Drizzle on Walden Farms Calorie Free Chocolate Dip (also 0 carb). Roll up the tortilla. Top with Redi-Whip and more strawberries.
*Note about toasting tortillas: The tortilla will often puff up. Stick a fork in it to make it go back down.