Thursday, August 9, 2012

Low Carb Taco Muffins

Last night I played around with a Bisquick recipe -without the Bisquick. I wanted to try making mini pot pies in a muffin tin, but of course, I wanted to create a low carb version. I used leftovers from taco salad from the day before and Carbquik as my magic ingredient.

Directions:

In a bowl, combine:
1/2 c. Carbquick
1/4 c. whole milk
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
2 beaten eggs
1/8 tsp. xanthum gum
1/8 tsp. baking powder

Put 6 muffin papers into a muffin pan and spray with Pam. (Next time I'll probably just spray the pan well instead of using the papers.) Put about a tablespoon of mixture into each muffin pan (about 1/3 full).

I confess I didn't measure anything for the next step. I just eyeballed the ingredients.

In another bowl, combine:
cooked ground beef in taco seasoning (I made my own.)
salsa
shredded cheddar cheese
chopped green onion
chopped black olives
salt & pepper

Spoon the taco ingredients into the muffin tins until almost full, but not quite. Spoon the rest of the Carbquik mixture into each tin to cover the taco ingredients. Sprinkle taco seasoning onto each muffin. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. They came out so good that I won't tell you how many I ate by myself! They are approximately 1.5 carbs each.

No comments: