Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Butter, Butter, Butter

One thing I love about low carb living is butter! Real butter. Not fake Fabio margerine. If you want to give your vegetables a kick, then try some yummy butter and extract or spice combinations.

Orange Butter
I bought a bag of frozen (steamers) broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots with nothing else added (I check the ingredients). I put the bag in the microwave and half a stick of butter in a pan. About a minute before the vegetables were done, I turned on the stove and melted the butter. Once the butter was melted, I added a teaspoon of orange extract. I stirred the extract and butter together, then added the vegetables. Then I stirred the vegetables (along with some slivered almonds) into the butter until they were well coated and snapping hot. I also topped the vegetables with salt and pepper. The end result was a light buttery orange flavor added to my vegetables, and let me tell you - it was dee-licious!

Garlic-Lemon Butter
This time I stirred up some fresh cut zucchini and squash in butter with a teaspoon of lemon extract, and a heavy dash of garlic salt and cracked pepper. You could also cook a chicken breast in garlic-lemon butter. Yum!

Almond Butter
Add almond extract to your butter, plus some slivered almonds to go along with your vegetables (try it on green beans).

Italian Herb Butter
Melt your butter and stir in Italian herb seasoning and use it stir up whatever vegetables suit your taste buds.

No comments: