Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Low Carb Winner!

I've tried several diets over the past 16 years. Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Quick Weight Loss Centers, Low Fat / High Carb, Low Calorie, and the list goes on...

Several years ago I tried Atkins. I didn't read the book. I didn't understand the diet, but I ate a lot of bacon! I think I lost 10 lbs or so before burning out and moving on to the next craze. Every diet I've ever tried plateaued out at 10 - 20 lbs. I could never, ever lose more than 20 lbs. - until now.

What happened?

I went low carb. Seriously. Less than 20 carbs a day.

Why did I do it?

My blood sugar went bonkers. I was in a bookstore one day when I looked around and realized that the world was fuzzy. As a prediabetic, I had a blood sugar monitor at home. I check it - 464. Wow! Talk about a wake up call. I went to the doctor. My A1C was 12.4. Yikes!

So I went low carb.

I started to lose weight. My blood sugar began to fall. I could see again.

But there is more...

When I went to the doctor he also checked my cholesterol.

Choloesterol: 250 (should be less than 200)
Triglycerides: 486 (should be less than 100)
HDL: 47 (should be higher, definitely higher)
LDL: They couldn't calculate it due to my high triglycerides.

Between my blood sugar and my cholesterol - my doctor was not a happy camper.

Two months later:

A1C: 6.8

Cholesterol: 120
Triglycerides: 100
HDL: 57
LDL: 43

Weight loss?

THIRTY-FIVE POUNDS AND COUNTING!

I'm a low carb winner!

No comments: