Thursday, July 19, 2012

Low Carb Book Review: How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds by Dana Carpender


    I just finished reading How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds by Dana Carpender. I knew her name based on her reputation for creating great low carb recipes and cookbooks, so when I saw her book, I decided to purchase it. Dana's book is just what I needed to help me get back on track. Here's the thing: the woman has done her homework, explains medical and science stuff in normal speak, and has eight years of low carbing under her belt. She's a walking example of how anyone can live a low carb lifestyle.
Dana is an Atkin's gal, but she recognizes that different people have different bodies, and what works for one person might not work for another person. She does a great job of explaining the reason everyone should eat low carb (based on scientific and medical research studies), but then she goes on to explain some of the different low carb diets out there -the pros / cons, and reasons why a diet may or may not work for a person. She doesn't say, "You have to do this, or you have to do that." Instead, she tells you the various options, and even talks about creating your own hybrid plan. It's all a great low carb experiment to figure out what works best for your body, lifestyle, and weight goals.
I read her book on my Kindle. There were some fabulous recipes (how to make your own yogurt), resources, and references. It was enough to get me to finally figure out how to highlight/bookmark pages (which is really easy btw). If you are new to low carb, or a veteran, I highly recommend this book. It's a great, easy to understand read.

No comments: