Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tea for Weight Loss, The Tea Series, Part 1

I've decided to post a series about tea. I am a bit of a tea connoisseur. I love a good cup of hot tea, or a tall glass of iced tea. I've made a point to educate myself about tea, and I've learned some exciting things. The first and foremost thing I've learned is that tea can help with weight loss!

All teas (white, black, green, oolong, pu-erh) are harvested from the same plant: the tea plant, also known in scientific terms as camellia sinensis. The different types of tea are based on how they are processed. They all have the same properties that help us with weight loss. Tea has three synergistic properties that work together: caffeine, L-theanine, and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG).

Tea has about 65 mg of caffeine per brewed cup (8 ounces). Coffee has about 90 mg of caffeine per brewed cup. But we are comparing apples to oranges. You see, tea has L-theanine, an amino acid that counteracts the negative effects of caffeine. This works to send your brain a message telling you that you are satisfied and full, rather than hungry. So basically, it works as an appetite suppressant. And then there is the EGCG which is an antioxidant that helps kick your metabolism into fat burning mode. How cool is that? Tea by itself won't cause you to lose weight, but it acts as an effective supplement to your low carb diet.

To top it off, tea is much healthier than diet soda. Let's face it -diet soda is chemicals and fake sweetner. Tea is an ancient drink that comes from nature. It's totally safe to drink tea all day long! Now I know what you are thinking: how does the caffeine effect your sleep? Well, I can tell you from personal experience that about a week and half into low carbing and full time tea drinking, I am now sleeping through the night.

In Part 2 of The Tea Series, we will talk about the different kinds of teas.

No comments: